Around 3:00 AM Saturday morning, city firefighters answer a call for a reported building fire at 8th and Oley Streets. Companies find a 6-story factory with fire showing.
Within the hour, the fire escalates to 4-alarms and numerous surrounding fire departments are brought in to help city firefighters. The fire possibly started on the 1st floor and quickly extended vertically through an elevator shaft. The fire engulfed the top floor. Numerous ladder pipes were put in service along with numerous ground monitors.
Firefighters spent most of the day extinguishing hot spots throughout the large complex which was being renovated and converted into apartments and retail space. Those plans appear to be on hold for now.
Check out the Photo Album with 28 fire ground photos of this fire by clicking HERE.
At 15:54 Sunday afternoon, Lehigh County 9-1-1 sent South Whitehall Stations 3, 32, 11, Salisbury Station 31 and Alburtis Station 1 for Rescue 1-41 as the designated F.A.S.T. company to 406 Beverly Drive for a report of a house fire.
South Whitehall Police arrived and reported a working fire in the Florida room and that the use of a garden hose was used to try and contain the fire.
Fire command assigned the first due engine to bring a water supply with it from Windsor and Parkway Road. The second due engine to drop a supply line from Beverly and Chelsea Lane.
Truck 31-31 was positioned on the Bravo side of the home on Windsor while both 1st and 2nd due engines positioned in front of the fire building and stretched hand lines. A total of 3 hand lines were stretched and operating.
The fire was contained to the Florida room while the main dwelling sustained minor smoke damage.
Just after 2:30 PM Sunday, Lehigh Township was dispatched to 579 South Cottonwood Road for a report of a garage fire attached to a dwelling. Chief 47-51 (Hildebrand) reported a smoke column while responding and had the 1st alarm assignment filled out.
Firefighters made a quick knock on the fire and prevented the fire from spreading to the adjoining dwelling. A deck attached to the garage was a total loss and the garage itself was heavily damaged.
Minutes before 2:00 AM Thursday morning, Lehigh Township and Walnutport Fire are sent to Bethany Wesleyan Church at 675 Blue Mountain Drive in the Cherryville section of Lehigh Township.
Companies arrive to find a fire in the peak of the roof that was sparked by a lightning strike. An employee of the church discovered the fire and called the fire department.
Lehigh Township's Engine stretched 1 hand line while Walnutport's Ladder 29 went to the roof to cut a hole in the peak of the roof. The small fire was contained to that area of the roof. A light smoke condition filled the interior of the building.
Apparatus from Northampton Borough, Slatington and Laurys Station assisted at the scene. Ladder Companies from Walnutport, Northampton and Slatington also responded.
Around 23:15 hours Tuesday, Northumberland and Schuylkill County Fire Departments respond to the former St. Mary’s Roman Catholic School, at the corner of Marion Heights Highway and Melrose Street. The fire destroyed the gym and burned the roof off of the vacant school.
The rear portion of the school, which was mainly a wood structure, was used as the gym and quickly burned to the ground.
Nearby homes were threatened by the embers. The school was vacant for more than 25 years.
At 16:03 Allentown Fire Radio transmitted box 3466 for 1302 North Irving Street on a structural fire sending Engines 13, 6, 4, 9, Truck 2 (Truck 1), and Battalion 43 (P. Atiyeh).
Engine 13 arrives and reports a working fire. Shortly after arriving, interior crews pulled out due to the heavy fire conditions being encountered.
Battalion 43 arrives and transmits a 2nd alarm for a fire in a 1-story 35 x 80 commercial building that housed a violin business. Engines 14 and 11 respond on the 2nd alarm.
It was imperative to protect the exposure on side 4 - a 1-story 80 x 80 attached carpet business. Tower Ladder 2 and Engine 11 (quint) was set up on side 2 of the building utilizing the ladder pipes. Hose lines were positioned on the roof of exposure 4. Large lines with smooth bore tips were used on the ground.
The companies worked hard and kept the fire from extending to the carpet business. The roof of the main fire building collapsed as you will see in the video. High winds helped spread the fire throughout the roof area.
The fire burned for over two hours before getting it under control.
The video was shot using a DJI Phantom Vision with no gimbal attached. The Phantom worked well in the high winds. No audio - the Phantom Vision camera has no mic.
Check out the photo gallery with over 60 photos - CLICK HERE
The video below is ground video shot by Mike Nester of NVP
At 10:18 Allentown transmitted box 2265 (7th & Allen) for a report of a fire in a vacant building at 602 North 7th Street sending Engines 6, 4, 9, Truck 2, Battalion 43, FM 45 and Engine 13 as the F.A.S.T. company.
Engine 4 arrives on location and reports a fire in the window of a vacant 100 x 250 building. Paper covering the inside of the windows was on fire from sparks dropping down from a welders torch on the second floor.
When crews made entry, they called for police to assist as members from Engine 4 heard people on the floor above them, and weren't sure if they had permission to be on the property.
Engine 9 positioned behind 4 on 7th Street and pulled a supply line from Engine 4 to a hydrant at the corner of 7th and Allen.
Once the crew gained access to the second floor, they used a water can to extinguish some hot spots. The box was held to the 1st alarm assignment.
The building was recently used as a pharmacy. In the 80's it was a fabric store and in the 1960's it was a Sears department store. The building is fenced off now and appears to be in the midst of renovations or being prepped for demolition.
At 07:10 Allentown Fire Radio transmitted box 3122 (3rd & Linden) for a report of a fire at 315 Linden Street sending Engines 6, 4, 9, Truck 2, Battalion 43, FM 45 and Engine 13 (F.A.S.T.).
Companies arrive to a 100 x 200 foot 3 and 4-story U-shaped factory with smoke showing and the sprinkler system activated on the Linden Street side of the building. This wing of the building is 3-1/2 stories in height. Engine 9 hooks into a hydrant on Linden Street and crews stretch a 1.75 inch hand line to the 1st floor. Battalion 43 puts all hands to work. Members find a fire in a room that was being held in check by the sprinkler system.
Crews went to the 2nd and 3rd floors to open up walls and floors to check for extension. A second hand line was stretched from Engine 9 but remained dry. Members hit some hot spots while opening up but the bulk of the fire was out upon arrival due to the sprinkler activation.
The city building inspector was called to the scene. The fire marshal is investigating the cause of the fire. The box was held to the 1st alarm assignment.
All photos and videos on this site owned by Newsworking.org or unless noted otherwise.
Reproduction of any kind is prohibited unless you have prior written permission from the owner.
Newsworking is an internet-based news media that focuses on presenting current emergency related news to the public. Some material may be graphic. Viewer discretion is advised. Information contained in articles should not be considered official and may contain inaccuracies, unless specifically cited.